- This event has passed.
Erotic Movement (Paired with any gender)
June 17 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A workshop exploring movement and self-expression, seeking to find the core of your movement rather than starting with an idea of what movement is meant to look like.
Being witnessed (or witnessing others) in dance or movement is often a profound experience. The potential exists to discover all sorts of things about ourselves, and have experiences through movement that take sex and self-expression to some very interesting places. Dance exists in tantric and erotic traditions throughout the ages for good reasons, and movement has been picked up within the field of psychology because it’s powerful.
In this workshop, we will be respectfully finding ways to negotiate with our reservations and shyness, and tap some of our sense of adventure. We will start with gentle movement by ourselves, and then progress to dance and witnessing.
This approach is not about moving to someone else’s idea of what dance or movement is meant to look like; it’s about finding your movement, allowing your body to express itself however that happens to be. The approach of this workshop is also welcoming of bodies of all shapes and sizes.
Whatever you do is a perfect expression of yourself, and there is as much of a skill in the receiving as there is in the giving.
In Erotic Movement, there are no references to gender. Everyone gets the experience of being witnessed, and of doing the witnessing.
We all come from different backgrounds and have different levels of experience with this work, and will all be encouraged to get to whatever level is right for us (from cautious to delicious).
The workshop is mostly experiential, including some solo practice, some pair-work, and some small-group work.
INTENSITY: Two out of four chillies. Erotic movement is sometimes confronting, even though this workshop approaches it in a measured and gentle way.
WHO FOR: Those with bodies. A degree of physical or movement impairment will fit in – please enquire.
WHO NOT FOR: Not relevant; if you’re drawn to the workshop description, then this is for you.
WHAT ACTIVITIES?: Some solo movement (with and without blindfolds), some witnessing of other people’s movement and self-expression, and being witnessed in your movement and self-expression.
WILL THERE BE PARTNER WORK: Yes.
HOW WILL PARTNERING BE DONE?: Randomly via a pairing system, with no regard to gender or preference.
CAN YOU WORK WITH AN EXISTING PARTNER / FRIEND?: No. Pairings will be made randomly.
NUDITY / SEXUAL CONTENT: Sometimes, as part of erotic movement, people find that some items of clothing want to come off. There is no expectation around this, and the workshop can generally be regarded as a clothing-on workshop. There is no touch or contact, but the workshop is about sexual expression.
COMMITMENT: You can participate in all activities only to the level that’s right for you; this could be anywhere from cautious to delicious.
RATIO EXPERIENTIAL / THEORETICAL: 10% theory, 90% experiential.
BRING: Water bottle, snacks.
WEAR: Whatever you’re comfortable in. Seriously; there is no need to dress to any particular code or ideal.
TICKETS, LOGISTICS, LATE POLICY
Tickets are released in ‘rounds’, where ‘round one’ tickets are cheaper, to encourage you to book in early. There is no other difference between the ‘rounds’ of tickets.
For this workshop, tickets range in price from $55 to $90.
It is never possible to buy tickets on the door, nor by paying with cash. See our FAQ for more information on this.
Unless otherwise stated, workshops start at the advertised time, and doors will be locked ten minutes later. This is because late arrivals interrupt the dynamic of the group, and will miss crucial safety information.
ABOUT CURIOUS CREATURES
Curious Creatures believe in sexual empowerment, self-development, community, consent, and communication. We pursue these aims by running workshops, producing a podcast (‘Curious Conversations About Sex’), hosting events, speaking publicly, and writing about topics close to our hearts.
Find out more about us, and check out our other workshops: https://www.curiouscreatures.biz
You’re going to love our podcast: https://www.curiouscreatures.biz/podcast.html
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Roger Butler is the driving force behind Curious Creatures, along with some very special co-facilitators. Roger Butler was brought up white, middle-class, mostly heterosexual, and male. In addition to that lineage, they now identifies as kinky, tantric, polyamorous, queer, and very, very curious. Their training is in Process Oriented Psychology and the facilitation of groups, coupled with an extensive education in sexuality.
Rog has been creating and facilitating Curious Creatures sexuality workshops for six years. Prior to this they facilitated well over a thousand workshops across various industries. They’re easily one of Australia’s most prolific sexuality workshop facilitators.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By making this booking, I confirm that:
– I will not reveal the names or any personal details of any person in the workshop (except the facilitators).
– I have no reason to believe I am likely to fall into an altered states of consciousness (such as extremely strong moods, psychotic or schizophrenic states, numbness, trauma response) where I am unable to communicate and look after myself.
– I am able to take responsibility for saying ‘no’ to any activity, experience or exchange that is not right for me. I will put my knowledge of my body and my psychology ahead of anything I am asked to do.
– I have free will, and if I need to leave the workshop at any time, I can. If I do, I will let the facilitator know I am leaving if it’s possible to do so, or get in touch with the facilitator/s afterwards to let them know why I left.
– I am an adult and I understand that many of Curious Creatures’ workshops are about sex and sexual practices. I understand that while the organisers are strongly committed to safety, there is no such thing as a ‘safe space’, and that I am responsible for my own safety.
– I don’t believe I am currently suffering from trauma or abuse.
– I can understand complex instructions given in English.
– I have read and agree to the refund policy, at https://www.curiouscreatures.biz/policies.html